- 2 medium yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 4 medium garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 cup chicken stock or low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon packed dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt, plus more as needed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 (4-1/2- to 5-pound) boneless pork shoulder
All you need to do is place the onions and garlic cloves in a layer on the bottom of a crock pot – as well pour in the chicken broth. Combine the spices and brown sugar in a large mixing bowl, and rub into the pork shoulder until completely covered.
Cook on high for 7 hours.
Pull the pork out – and place into 8″x8″ foil cake pan, strain the onions and place over the pork. Shred the pork using 2 forks – cover with foil and place in the fridge.
I like to serve this on lightly toasted pretzel buns, with a slice of cheddar, and heap of slaw on top of it.