Melbourne police treating knife attack as terrorism incident, officials say

Melbourne police treating knife attack as terrorism incident, officials say

Melbourne police treating knife attack as terrorism incident, officials say

Authorities are praising members of the public who helped police take down a man who launched a deadly terror attack in Melbourne.

Police responded to the scene on Bourke Street after receiving reports of a vehicle on fire, Victoria Police Superintendent David Clayton told reporters shortly after the incident. The reason for the attack has yet to be confirmed.

"As they got out of the auto, they were confronted by a male brandishing a knife and threatening them", Supt David Clayton said in a news conference.

Macquarie Radio has been told a vehicle "burst into flames" near the entrance of the Bourke Street Mall.

He was shot by an officer and was rushed to hospital, but he has since died. Hindustan Times delivers the news across all social media platforms, on the web, and at your doorstep.

Officers said they "are not looking for anyone further at this early stage". It is unknown whether it came from the vehicle or was police gun fire.

The man stabbed three people, one fatally, before he was shot by police.

According to the ABC, witnesses saw the man crash the auto, get out and throw an object into the vehicle that set it alight.

Videos and photos shared on Twitter showed a burning auto and police officers in an altercation with the man clad in black. One of the victims also died and the two others were hospitalized.

When asked if police should have shot Khalif in the leg rather than the chest, Commissioner Ashton said police were trained to kill if they believed their life or a member of the public's life was at risk.

Rafael Nadal Pulls Out Of ATP Finals
Meanwhile, Kei Nishikori has been drafted into the tournament following the withdrawal of Juan Martin del Potro due to a right knee injury.

The Somali-born terrorist was brought down by Victoria State Police after confronting officers on a busy inner city street in the state capital, authorities said.

"The attack is being treated as a terrorism incident", Morrison said.

"A second person has been taken to hospital with a head injury".

"I didn't know what was happening there was just so much chaos and screaming".

Bystander Drew Hair said he was walking on Swanston Street when he heard an explosion.

"They were around him trying to take the knife out of his hand - I'm pretty sure it was a kitchen knife", he said.

The next thing he saw was a "big dude punching into the police car".

Streets were closed and trams halted while police attend the scene.

"We where told to keep away from the area as the guy had a knife and had stabbed people, I was anxious that it could be a planned attack and there could be more attackers".

Related news

[an error occurred while processing the directive]