Khashoggi's Fiancee Hits Out At Trump Over 'Cover-Up'

Khashoggi's Fiancee Hits Out At Trump Over 'Cover-Up'

Khashoggi's Fiancee Hits Out At Trump Over 'Cover-Up'

Hatice Cengiz, fiancee of slain Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi, is seen during an interview with Reuters in London, Britain on October 29, 2018.

Turkey is seeking the extradition of 18 Saudi suspects detained in Saudi Arabia for the October 2 killing of Khashoggi - a journalist who had written critically of Saudi Arabia's crown prince in columns for The Washington Post.

"This incident, this assassination, took place in the Saudi consulate", she said, speaking through a translator. However, Riyadh maintains that the murder had nothing to do with the Saudi Royal family, describing it as a rogue operation.

There were also claims that the body was given to "local co-conspirators", and Erdogan urged Saudi Foreign Minister Adel al-Jubeir to identify them.

Cengiz later told an audience she was disappointed with Trump's response to the killing, suggesting U.S. business ties with Riyadh had influenced his approach to the case.

Al-Mujeb arrived at the consulate after visiting Istanbul's main courthouse for the second time as part of an investigation into the killing Khashoggi. He did not walk out of the consulate.

The two countries have announced a joint investigation of the journalist's killing in Saudi Arabia's consulate in Istanbul, although Turkey has leaked evidence to the media in an apparent effort to pressure its regional rival over the crime committed by Saudi officials.

Later, Riyadh said the killing was premeditated and Prince Mohammed has vowed that the killers would be brought to justice.

Oman: We are not mediating Israel-Palestine peace process, but offering ideas
The last meeting between leaders of the two nations was in 1996 when then-Prime Minister Shimon Peres visited Oman and Qatar. In the cable, Israeli Foreign Ministry official Yacov Hadas said: "They [the Gulf states] believe Israel can work magic".

She said: 'If the allegations in this weekend's report are true they are extremely serious, it was reported in early September that our intelligence services became aware of the Saudi plan to abduct Jamal Khashoggi and on October 1 they knew that a Saudi team had been dispatched to Istanbul for that objective.

The Turkish lawyer looking into the death of Jamal Khashoggi has asked Saudi Arabia's prosecutor to disclose who sent the team involved in the journalist's killing, President Tayyip Erdogan said on Tuesday.

MI6 warned Saudi Arabia to cancel the mission, which was thought at the time to be an abduction, but did not alert other intelligence agencies, according to the Sunday Express. "I want to know the details of who is responsible".

"We will continue to campaign for truth and accountability for his horrific murder, by those who planned, ordered and executed it", said Kumi Naidoo, secretary general of Amnesty International, which released the video.

"I am extremely disappointed by the stance of the leadership of many countries, particularly in the US", Cengiz told a memorial event in London.

"President Trump should help reveal the truth and ensure justice be served. He should not allow my fiance's murder to be covered up". "Let's not let money taint our conscience and compromise our values", Cengiz said.

Trump has called the case "one of the worst cover-ups in history", but warned against halting a Saudi arms deal to increase pressure on Riyadh, saying it would harm United States jobs.

Cengiz met Khashoggi in May at a conference in Istanbul and their relationship blossomed.

Related news



[an error occurred while processing the directive]