Couple Ordered To Turn Over Money Raised For Homeless Man

Couple Ordered To Turn Over Money Raised For Homeless Man

Couple Ordered To Turn Over Money Raised For Homeless Man

A New Jersey couple who raised more than $400,000 online for a homeless man who spent his last $20 to help one of them past year has been ordered by a judge to place the money in escrow and provide a full account of how it has been spent.

Bobbitt inspired the fundraising campaign after he gave McClure his last $20 when she ran out of gas on a freeway exit ramp last November outside Philadelphia. They said that they gave him $25,000 in cash last Christmas but that Bobbitt spent all the money in 13 days. Johnny Bobbitt, a 35-year-old homeless man, gave her his last $20 to help her buy gas.

Part of the problem, as Dow sees it, is that the couple mixed the contributions of more than 14,000 people with their own money. He claimed around half of the total funds raised were either given to Bobbitt directly or spent on him.

Mr Bobbitt's lawsuit alleges that they committed fraud by taking a large portion of the donations raised for him on GoFundMe for themselves.

They will also have to provide a full accounting of the money raised, reports said.

However, Bobbitt claims they bought a camper van for him to live in on their New Jersey property along with a used auto and clothing.

The former US Marine veteran told the Philadelphia Inquirer that he is unable to access the remaining $US200,000 raised, which Mr D'Amico said would be dispensed to Mr Bobbitt once he gets a job and stops his drug use.

The couple has until the end of Friday to put that money into an escrow account, and open the books to show how the money has been spent. They said the money would be used for rent, a auto and other expenses until Bobbitt could find work.

Woman seen in video ringing doorbell in restraints is safe, police say
AMAZING NEWS! Deputies say a mysterious woman seen ringing a doorbell in the Sunrise Ranch neighborhood last week is... My husband was woken up by doorbell ring. "It rang probably 20 to 30 times", an anonymous resident told Click2Houston.

D'Amico and McClure could not be immediately reached for comment.

"The idea that my clients are the bad guys, that they did everything, that they've expended funds for something other than Mr. Bobbitt, is completely not true", said the couple's lawyer, Ernest Badway.

Fallon said Bobbitt has received about $75,000, which includes a camper and used SUV the couple bought for the name, but were in McClure's name.

During an appearance on Monday on NBC's Megyn Kelly Today show, Mr D'Amico said there is well over $150,000 (€130,000) left of the donations.

"If they spent money on themselves and I say if they did, we want reimbursement of the money".

"I wish it didn't come to this", said Bobbitt, who is reportedly now back on the streets. The donations was said to have amounted to over $400k.

Mr Bobbitt's lawyers say that the couple have been living the high life, splashing out on a BMW, lavish holidays and generally "living a lifestyle they could not afford" using the fund as "their personal piggy bank". "Every dollar he ever touched was used for drugs", D'Amico said, adding that he and McClure tried to get Bobbitt to enter rehab, but he refused.

Related news



[an error occurred while processing the directive]