Airport reopens after 12hr closure due to volcano eruption

Airport reopens after 12hr closure due to volcano eruption

Airport reopens after 12hr closure due to volcano eruption

Mount Agung has been erupting since November a year ago and is one of 147 volcanos spread over Indonesia.

The airport will stay shut on Friday until 7 pm local time (1100 GMT), and 48 flights had been cancelled affecting 8,334 passengers, including 38 global flights and 10 domestic flights, the disaster mitigation agency said in a statement.

Air New Zealand has cancelled Bali flights today due to an erupting volcano at Mount Agung.

The volcano's eruption this week, which began on Wednesday, June 27, emitted plumes of volcanic ash reaching as high as 2,000 metres above the crater. However, there still remains a 4-kilometer no-go zone around Mount Agung's peak.

The major reason for cancelling the flights during a volcanic eruption is that it can damage engines, clog fuel and can even hamper visibility.

Denpasar airport's online flight information board showed Australian airlines Virgin Australia and Qantas had also cancelled flights to and from the island.

Seven Suspects Held in Slaying of Bronx Teen
Newly arrested Elvin Garcia was charged with murder , manslaughter and criminal possession of a weapon, police said. Instead of getting him help, video shows the clerk and another person pointing the disoriented teen to the door.

Indonesia, an archipelago of more than 250 million people, sits on the Pacific "Ring of Fire" and is prone to earthquakes and volcanic eruptions.

In a later tweet, the airport advised people to "stay updated for every information from our official account".

Bali's main worldwide gateway will be closed until at least Friday evening, according to officials, who added that two other domestic airports were also shut. The authorities have also reduced its alert status from higher to lower level in the month of February 2018.

The only three flights this morning to Bali from Melbourne were cancelled with passengers with tickets to fly in the afternoon to the tourist island still holding their breath. Government seismologists monitor more than 120 active volcanoes.

An earlier flight on AirAsia was called off before the airport was shuttered early Friday morning.

The queue at Bali's global airport. "My stuff has been sitting on the ground for 24 hours, and don't have any accommodation", Australian traveller Caitlin Bigg said at the global terminal.

Related news

[an error occurred while processing the directive]